The Professional Training Option (PTO) is an alternative certification program approved by the Florida Department of Education. This option is open to students majoring in areas other than education. Students receive pre-professional level training in the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices and participate in an integrated school-based observation. The PTO program is a pathway to prepare students majoring in a content area for temporary teacher certification in Florida for that content area. Professional teacher certification in Florida is attainable after a year of successful teaching in a Florida public school, passing scores on relevant exams in the Florida Teacher Certification Examination series, and other requirements as required by the State of Florida.
*A professional certificate is granted only after a candidate works with an employing school district to meet the requirements for teaching. (http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/mast_prof.asp)
The following eligibility criteria will be considered to evaluate applications for aadmission into the PTO program:
* Complete the PTO Application.
- Major: Enrolled in a non-education degree program. • GPA: FAMU cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better, Subject Area GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Recommendation from advisor.
- Successful completion of Leon County background clearance; proof of health insurance and liability insurance.
The professional training option consists of six courses that meet professional teacher preparation coursework requirements, in consort with pre-professional level training in the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices. A successful completer will have their transcript endorsed with the statement: “Completion of FLDOE - approved Professional Training Option.”
The PTO Completion Requirements include:
- EDF 1005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession w/Field Experience* **
- EME 2040 Introduction to Technology for Educators * **
- EDF 2085 Introduction to Diversity for Educators w/Field Experience* (fall and spring only)**
- EDF 3430 Measurement and Evaluation and Human Growth
- RED 3333 Teaching Reading in the Content Area
- ESE 3341 Theory and Practice in the Secondary School with field experience (fall and spring)**
**Subject to enrollment
Additional criteria are required by the state of Florida for a temporary teaching certificate. Student candidates must contact the Florida Department of Education for specific criteria.